Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A & R Bar-B-Que

Unfortunately, Anthony had to head back to DC, so after a quick stop at the Nashville Airport, I set my coordinates for Memphis. Touted as the city with the highest number of BBQ places per capital, picking just 3 was a challenge.

First on the itinerary was A & R BBQ on Elvis Presley Blvd. Travel and Leisure magazine called this "the best traditional Memphis-style ribs ever - flat out sensational."
Pulling up to the place, you are greeted by an unassuming corner building that doesn't do a very good job of convincing you that it serves food. The thick smoke billowing from the pits out back fill your nostrils and tell you otherwise. As you walk in, their unofficial slogan stand tall and proud, "Anyone can put the heat 2 the meat, but only a few can bar-b-q". The furniture hasn't changed since their opening in 1983 and the red and white plastic table cloths, sticky to the touch adorn the tables.


Everything is a sandwich, which similar to Nashville means, they take a slab of meat and put it between 2 pieces of bread. I ordered the ribs sandwich and the waitress was stunned when I also order the pulled pork sandwich. A hilarious conversation ensued when I told her why I was there [read about it in the memorable quotes section below].
The pulled pork sandwich was like nothing I had on the trip because they take their pulled pork, drench it in their sweet sauce, top it with creamy coleslaw and serve it on a bun. As the ratings below will show, each item on the sandwich cannot do without the other, together the slaw, pork and sauce form a flavor sensation in your mouth.
The ribs were very smoky, dry on the outside, but very moist on the inside. I was told that they go into the pit with nothing on them, i.e. no seasoning or sauce. They are cooked in the pit for several hours and close to the end of the cooking time, they slather their hot or mild sauce all over them. The ribs without any sauce are smokey all the way to the bone.

The smokehouse out back - Unfortunately, no tour because the pit master wasn't there.

Ratings:
Ribs - 7 - impressed by the moist center of the ribs, the smoky flavor and taste.
Pulled Pork - 6.5 (7.5) - slaw and pork -cannot do without the other. Alone a 6.5, but together a 7.5.
Slaw - 5.5 (6.5) - same as above, together they are a form a dynamic duo.
Sauces - 7 - they have a hot and mild sauce which are worth mentioning because they are made in the pit. When I asked for details, this request was met with a cold reception, so I have no idea how they make them.
Ambiance - 8.5 - I had to peel my hands from the table cloth after the meal, need I say more.

Overall - 7

Memorable Quotes:
Shingai: "I drove a long way to come taste your BBQ."
Cashier: "You from the other side of town? I think I seen you before."
Shingai: "No, I'm from DC."
Cashier: "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? No you isn't! Say, "if I'm lying, I'm dying."
Shingai: "If I'm lying, I'm dying."
Cashier: "Oh my god! TYREEKA! This guy just drove from DC to eat lunch here."
Tyreeka: "Stop playin'!"

No comments:

Post a Comment